Unique Batik is based in Campbell River, Vancouver Island, Canada. Owner, Cherrie Warburton, spends part of the year living in Bali, Indonesia, working with tailors, batik fabric producers and handicraft producers to develop these unique hand made and fair and ethically traded products. Working directly with small shops and individuals in Bali allows Cherrie to beneficially affect the living standards of the people with whom she works - the money they earn stays with them!
Winter of 2013 found us exploring the high country of Sri Lanka for fair trade organic green tea and ayurvedic herbal tea blends - it was wonderful to meet such fine people making wonderful teas ! We also met small family businesses producing indiginous crafts - they do amazing work with their natural materials - none of us here in the west have the patience nor time any more for this fine work. Some of the families we worked with have been making their craft for generations, and once upon a time supplied the royal families of Sri Lanka with their beautiful creations. Scroll thru our Facebook page for stories and pictures.
We are a socially responsible business, and support fair and ethical trade working practices.
MY MISSION :
- to have my designs produced ethically in a developing country where people often struggle to make fair wages ;
- to ensure that no child labour nor sweat labour is used to make my designs ;
- to have my designs produced by family businesses where many members of a family may benefit from the work ;
- if I need a larger production than a family business can manage, I use small businesses that pay fair wages to their employees and offer good working conditions ; and
- pay a fair market price for the production of my designs because without this component, none of the rest of it would be necessary!
Our products are also available at various market and fair venues.
If you have any questions about our products or wish to inquire about wholesale purchases, please feel free to contact Cherrie directly:
|By mail:||2192 Dalton Road, Campbell River, BC Canada V9W 1H4|